*The Banker
Today I toss two nuts out at the same time. It wasn't a planned thing. I found a few in my bag an can only surmise the sneaky Tom has planted them in his kindness thinking I might like to feed the animals. Since I hadn't know they were in there, I stuffed my bag with a hairdryer and that seemed to have mashed the nuts, leaving me with nut shell dust and some dented open peanuts, which I brushed at, causing the nuts to fall out on the ground.I wasn't really paying attention at that point, having been caught in a reverie of recent work time sillyness. The other day we planted a sign on the back of Tom's chair that said "kick me" so that it affixed onto his shirt after he'd sat down. The next day, Tom brought in a fart cushion. No one was safe from it's surprise placements. Juvenile but too funny. Also funny that they still make those things.
After unconsciously littering and feeding the animals, one lucky squirrel notices. He bounds over to the nuts, chirping into his front paws looking back and forth at each nut. I think he's trying to figure out how to get them both. He can only pick up one at a time. If he takes one nut, the other might get scooped up by another squirrel, although I don't see another about.
This squirrel is really working on this dilemma. I think that he better make up his mind soon or he might lose them both to a pigeon.
The pigeons around here are pushy and mean. They peck at the squirrels from time to time. I've not seen anyone feeding the pigeons here. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of ruling about that because of Toxoplasmosis and it's threat to people with immunocompromised systems like HIV. Feed a pigeon, kill an person.
The squirrel makes up his mind, chooses a nut and scampers off with it. He's back in a flash for the other nut, which he takes and also hides. He must have a near by hidey hole to stash his goodies. I laugh to myself that I call the squirrel "He" since I have no clue to gender identity of these little guys. They just don't seem like an "it"- definitely more like a he.
This squirrel is a thrifty one. I break my "you are a watcher, not a participant rule" just this once and toss him the third and last half mashed nut from the bottom of my bag and he's off with it to his secret stash.
I recognized this squirrel because he is darker than his grey brothers but not quite so black as the black squirrels. He's probably a mixture of both. He's my little banker squirrel. Just putting those nuts in the nut bank for later.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home