Thursday, September 22, 2005

*Mortality Rate

I did some reading as I sat outside and hung with the little guys. They aren't shy at all. I didn't have any peanuts or food, but they still come up really close to check me out and see if I do have any goodies that I haven't offered. Hopeful bunch.

I'm reading an article about squirrels. Some of the high school students from the local public schools volunteer in the hospital for credit. One of them, Nick, his mother works at the hospital and got him the spot. He's a cute kid, the school girls are crazy for him. He seems a bit spoiled, girls running about doing things for him. His mother as well, caters to him. Some of this might just be the Hispanic cultural way of things. Might just be because his is cute and charming. He is nice and lets me have the news he downloaded and printed to read on the train ride home. He says he needed something to read on the way in and doesn't need it anymore.

The paper says that most squirrels die before their first birthday. Not because they starve to death. Not because someone makes them into a meal. Why then? Because they get run over.
No sh*t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home