*Larry
On the way to work, I cross through the squirrel park and bump into Larry. How random. He's the custodian that works in Extended Care/ Rehab/ Geriatrics. I've always liked him. He does his work well and has a sense of humor about the place. When I first started working at the Vets, he was about the only one that I noticed with both such traits.It's nice to see Larry, it's been a long time he says. About 8 years. Weird how fast time can go. Larry has been at the Vets for 20 years and this upcoming year is going to be his last. He is looking forward to retirement. As we chat, Larry rearranges his shoulder bag and drops a few nuts on the ground for the squirrels. I'm glad to see someone feeding the little guys. That's good to know. Not matter how is given to them, they always seem so ferociously famished.
Larry has a lot to say about the squirrels. He says that the reason the squirrels always seem hungry is because they are. He has seen squirrels eat bird nestlings and bird eggs. The birds must hate that. He says squirrels need to eat all the time and will eat practically anything, insects, sprouted mushrooms after a lot of moistness, they will even eat each other. Yikes.
If there was any justification required for feeding the squirrels, abhorrance of squirrel cannibalism is the top of the hit list.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home