*Earth Day Epiphany
There are lots of fun events going on all over the city despite the gloomy weather. In the Lower East Side is a Chinatown Food Festival. Close to home, at my park, is an Earth Day event. Eventhough it is the weekend, I was up early. I got my Dunkin' Donuts coffee and sat in the park for another Squirrel Watch.I realize that most times, it's not just a squirrel watch but a people watch too. Can't be helped. Welcome to NYC. Land of many squirrels and people.
I realized something amazing today when the white and green parks truck came by and chubby parks guy came out to throw out and change the trash bags. I realized that I had seen him just the night before changing the trash bags in the early evening. He always throws food down a ways away from the trash. In the morning he comes back and picks up the trash with a minimal of sweep up here and there. No fuss no muss.
There's another team of Parks guys that come and do the same tasks, mow the grassy areas and what not but the trash guy with that team is a tall, skinny guy. When he does trash, he doesn't feed the animals. The next morning on my way to work, I cut through the park as is my custom, and when I see the skinny Parks guy taking care of the trash again, the bags are always violated. Shredded to bits in some places.
I always think of the chubby happy Parks guy whenever I see this skinny, grumpy Parks guy. I used to wonder if the skinny Parks guy was unhappy because it always seemed like he had more work to do. When he collected the trash, it would always be strewn about the trash container, a big mess to sweep up. Now I think his grumpyness is partly his own doing.
The squirrels and the birds are looking for food and get into the trash. The chubby happy Parks guy always leaves something around for the wild critters to eat. They get fed and leave his garbage alone.
These two different Parks guys have unwittingly trained my squirrel buddies into alternately being good Park citizens and ravening maniacs.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home